12.07.2006

Bush Actually Read Something

This is from the press conference that Bush and Blair held today to discuss the Iraq Study Group.

A reporter asked Bush if he was willing to take the report seriously.

His answer was bad news for John Stewart, because in all honesty, I think it's pretty much exactly what John would say in his shruggy-beady-eyed Bush impression.

I'm not shitting you. I'm not making this up and I'm not taking it out of context, when presented with this question the President of the United States said: "To show you how important this one is, I read it."

You can read the rest of his comments to see how little he managed to say in 30 seconds of circular vapid blubbering -- in which he appears to be surprised that the members of the commission didn't have something better to do in their "busy lives" than try to solve the problem of Iraq.

Q Mr. President, you have said that you have the Baker-Hamilton report, you also have the -- you're waiting to hear from the Pentagon, you're waiting to hear from the State Department. This report was prepared by a bipartisan group, the only one you'll get. Secretary Baker has a special relationship with the family. Should this report not get extra consideration? Does it not carry more weight than any of the others?

PRESIDENT BUSH: That's an interesting question. It's certainly an important part of our deliberations, and it was certainly an important part of our discussions this morning. Some reports are issued and just gather dust. And truth of the matter is, a lot of reports in Washington are never read by anybody.

To show you how important this one is, I read it, and our guest read it. The Prime Minister read -- read a report prepared by a commission. And this is important. And there are some -- I don't think Jim Baker and Lee Hamilton expect us to accept every recommendation. I expect them -- I think -- I know they expect us to consider every recommendation, Jim. We ought to pay close attention to what they advise. And I told them yesterday at our meeting that we would pay close attention, and would seriously consider every recommendation. We've discussed some of their recommendations here at this press conference. And we are -- we will spend a lot of time on it.

And I -- and so you ask its relative importance. I'd call it a very important report, and a very important part of our working to a new approach, a new way forward in Iraq.

And I can't -- I really do thank those citizens for taking time out of busy lives to spend time helping us look at different options. These are distinguished souls; they got plenty to do. They're busy people, and yet they took nine months out and they talked to a lot of people. They went to Iraq, they thought about it a lot, and it was a very considerate, important report. And I will take the recommendations very seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home